Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 26 April 2011

#83 - Nausea and vomit

25/04/2011

In the middle of the night, I woke up with my stomach feeling queasy so I went to the toilet and then retreated back to bed thinking no more of it.
However the following few hours were some of the most horrific I've ever experienced.

At regular intervals I woke up and vomited then went back to bed. When I say regular intervals, I can't remember how many times I went so that should put in perspective how ill I was.
This happened for several hours and by the end, there was nothing in my stomach to vomit up.

I had obviously lost a lot of water so finally found the strength to go downstairs and buy a 2.5l bottle.
I then started drinking to replace the fluids I'd lost but after a few minutes, went back to the toilet and was sick again, this time it was very watery.
I tried some more water but the same thing happened - it made a quick reappearance.

At one stage something red was in my sick which I truly hope wasn't blood.
I evcentually got through the whole 2.5l but had retained none of it.

I tried sleeping it off but as soon as I woke up, was just sick again. By this stage I had told the company I was meant to be touring with that I was too ill, so there is a waste of 9pounds.

The nice woman on the reception then made me some tea using the local Coca leaves (same stuff I had in the mornings during Machu Picchu) which contain loads of vitamins and minerals that I'd probably thrown up and after that, I felt a lot better and went back to sleep.

When I got up and out of bed, it was about 2:30pm and I felt awful - drained, dehydrated etc. but I didn't want to drink too quickly otherwise I'd just sick it back up. I then had a lukewarm shower (didn't have the energy to complain and she had brought me Coca tea so I didn't want to cause a fuss).

I staggered out of the hostel to an internet cafe 10m away where I uploaded some blogs and saw how dire the state of the world is on the BBC website.

I then returned to my room, watched an episode of Bones and drifted off to sleep.
First day for many years in which I haven't eaten anything at all - hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment