Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 17 April 2011

#75 - 100 soles note odyssey

17/04/2011

I´d love to say today was an action packed, risk-taking day.
But it wasn´t.
It was still more eventful than yesterday, though that´s not saying much.

I planned to have breakfast at 10am and go to church at 11am.
I woke up at 10:55am.
I was a bit annoyed but instead, had my own service where I sang some worship songs to myself and read some of the Bible. Probably sounds really sad but it was cool.

I then watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on tv, and then went out for some Skyping.
I first talked to Amy and then to Luke. Both were very good convos and it was the first time I´d spoken to him since I left 10 weeks ago so it was cool.

I then went to pick up some washing from the Lavanderia (Launderette) and tried to pay with a 100soles note as it was all I had on me. This is worth 22pounds and yet the woman didn´t have enough change in her shop so I had to go away to break it into smaller notes.
This has happened on many occasions now, even in restaurants which is even more ridiculous. I wish I knew enough Spanish to explain the concept that at some stage in the life of a 100soles note, it has to be spent but unfortunately I can´t communicate that.
I did my best by highly raising my eyebrows.

So off I went for some dinner, and I found a Pizzeria where I got a substantially sized pizza and drink for the equivalent of 3.50. I then obviously paid with the 100soles note and again got a reaction - I wanted to tell them to keep more change on the premises, particularly in a restaurant!
She went off and about ten minutes later, returned with my change.
About damn time!

I then went back to the Lavanderia and finally picked up my clothes.
Unbelievable.

I then went to get some last-minute things for Machu Picchu, batteries and such like, and then went back to the Hostel.
Can´t believe I´m starting the Inca Trail tomorrow.
It´s an awesome thought.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment