Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 5 April 2011

#56 - Chasing after Willy

29/03/2011 (posted 05/04/2011)

Woke up with no bites but a very sore back after sleeping on solid wood. I somehow managed not to fall off which, when you see the photos, was impressive.

They made us mint tea for breakfast, but didn´t know how to use tea bags so cut one open before Lissette showed them how. Foodwise we just had some bread rolls which were filling but very bland.

The morning was given for us to build benches for the church. They have just four and wanted us to build another three so we got to work.
After a fair bit of sawing and hacking we had everything ready - all that was needed was nails. And there was the proble. They had none.
It´s a shame to leave a job half-finished but hopefully they´ll be able to acquire some before we leave so that we can finish off the job.

We went to the river in the afternoon and found another rock to climb and jump off. A few of us were feeling silly and jumped off while mooning but there were only us men there so it was justified. Sort of.

We had a kids programme in the afternoon for about ten kids who are mainly sons and daughters of the congregation. We played some games and told them some stories and then Andrew taught them how to play ´Bogies´ which was funny.
Jonny became Willy the clown which was a bit of an in-joke amongst us English-speakers but he was absolutely brilliant, so energetic.
At the end we made the kids follow Willy whilst dancing. Andrew DJ´d and the first song he picked was the theme from Baywatch. The locals obviously won´t understand the reference - I doubt they´ve seen a tv - but seeing kids run after a clown with the Baywatch music was simply hilarious. We also treated them to some Basshunter from Jonny´s ´pumpìn´ playlist on his iPod.

After the programme we were all tired so I collapsed in one of the hammocks. Jess then rocked me and sand ´Rock a by Joven´ (my nickname due to my baby face) which was actually really nice. I want people to do this for me when I get home.

We bought a chicken to eat for dinner. Trouble was it was still alive.
In stepped Christina, against her will, who did a pretty good job of killing it. To be fair to me (my attempts made me a laughing stock last week) she had a machete and I had a blunt penknife pretty much. She didn´t cut its head clean off like I did so it flapped and screeched around for about half a minute before giving up on life.

Much as I loved my improvised sleeping device I created last night, I was offered the chance to sleep in a hammock tonight and couldn´t turn it down. I´m going to attempt to sleep in a different way each night.
Should be a fun challenge.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment