Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 5 April 2011

#58 - Stud muffin

31/03/2011 (posted 05/04/2011)

Nice early 5am wake up as we had to arrive at a school by 7:30 and they told us it would take us an hour and a half.
We had Hojaldras and omelettes for breakfast which were delicious and gave us plenty of energy for a walk.

We left at 6:20 and walked past some amazing landscapes. I took some panoramic photos which, with the early morning light, look great. It was only a 45 minute walk in the end which was a pleasant surprise.

The kids arrived so we gave our programme. We truly went from the sublime to the ridiculous - gospel messages to the Grecian Fountains and the Cool ´n´ Creamy Brothers. I don´t think the teachers knew what hit them when we pulled them out of the bag but the kids found it funny which is what matters.

Afterwards the school served us rice and chicken - it was 9am. It was the first time for several weeks that we had any type of spice or seasoning and it was so nice! Plain rice is filling but unbelievably bland and we´ve been having it daily for ages now.
We then stayed for around an hour as they wanted to show us their mock election. In order to teach the kids how it works, they had made video cameras out of card, ballot boxes, IDs etc. so we watched the kids walk into a room, cast their vote, sign their name and walk out again for about an hour. The teachers then let us go as this was clearly going to continue for several hours.

As we left, the teachers wanted some photos with our whole group. What was funny was that all the female teachers then also asked for individual photos with me, just me. It was very flattering and more funny than anything else and much as the guys jokes about it, I could tell they were jealous.

We walked straight home and en route, tried to get our guide to take a group picture of us with an amazing landscape behind us. Unfortunately, he had clearly never seen a camera before so he didn´t take any that did justice to the truly stunning background. It was a shame but after asking him to take five photos and all of them being equally awful, we didn´t have the heart to ask him to do any more.

We got back pretty early so had some lunch and then everyone crashed out. I couldn´t really get to sleep so I was just sitting around bored for ages. I love a nice nap after lunch but it was just too hot for me to get settled.

Us lads went to the river again and just swam a bit and took some time to relax. There´s loads of shade by the river so it´s an awful lot cooler than the church where we hang out and sleep.
We spent most of the rest of the afternoon getting bitten - the local insects obviously know that tomorrow is our last day so are really stepping up their efforts.

I can´t believe our mission is almost at an end. We´ve now had five and a half weeks and just have tomorrow left. The amount I´ve grown personally during this time is crazy and I´ve learned so much about myself and my relationship with God. I´ve been so blessed to be surrounded by a team of great peers who I have also learned a lot from.

We led an evening service throughout which I was knackered. Luckily I didn´t have much to do.
We sang How Great Thou Art which always puts a chill down my spine, it´s such a powerful song.

I decided to abandon my challenge of sleeping in a different place each night and got my Thermarest our again. It´s just so comfortable.
Two more nights.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment