Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 5 April 2011

#57 - If you go down to the river with us, you´re in for a big surprise

30/03/2011 (posted 05/04/2011)

My night was pretty comfortable in the hammock. I managed to slide into a good position and put my travel pillow under the arch of my back to support it.

We had Hojaldra for breakfast. I really have to write the recipe down, they´re so doughy and sweet.

At 8am we left for a nearby community. It was about an hour´s walk and on the way, we passed a shop which had a mini-fridge and bought some ice-cold Kist drinks (Fanta). Having a cold drink from a glass bottle was so, so good. I am now very much looking forward to being back in Volcan and heading to the Panaderia for a pastry and lemonade.

We arrived at our destination and waited for an hour for people to get there. The congregation here is apparently struggling for motivation so we gave an hour-long programme to encourage them and we were well-received. The weather was so hot and we were all exhausted by the time it finished so when they served us rice, it was extremely welcome. The addition of tuna was unnecessary but I just wolfed it down first to get it out of the way.
In the past weeks I have eaten gross portions of rice but, this week particularly, my appetite has shrunk a fair amount. Jonny asked me to help him out with his portion which I would usually have jumped at but I felt really achey afterwards.

We waited for couple of hours and then some kids came. We did a short programme for them and then played some games to tire them out. After Sardines (the game, not the food) Andrew had the excellent idea of teaching them ´Bogies´. They loved it but it annoyed the rest of us.
I´m slightly worried for when the next group of missionaries come and see kids playing ´Bogies´ and talking of Willy the clown.

We came bacm and us lads went down to the river. We did more laddish things we can´t get away with around the females such as duck-diving (either you know what that is or you don´t - if you don´t, you don´t want to). A few of us found little biting insects in strange places which I won´t detail.

When we returned a dinner of spam and rice was ready - never grow tired of that combo. In all seriousness, fried spam isn´t too bad at all and out here in the middle of nowhere it´s a luxury for them.

There was no evening service so we had some time to ourselves and to relax which is rare and amazing when we get it. Andrew tried to teach the locals to play Uno, Jonny and Jarett chilled in hammocks, I´m sitting writing this and the girls went to the river. Each sex now goes to the river separately - we do silly things and I wonder what they do. Probably complain about us.

I chose to sleep on my Thermarest tonight so I need to think of a creative way of sleeping tomorrow to keep up my challenge of a different way each night. Or I  might just abandon the challenge and sleep comfortably.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment