Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Monday, 11 April 2011

#69 - Hooters

11/04/2011

Fancied a lie-in this morning but that wasn't possible.
We went to a local forest to see some monkeys and had to leave early to catch them so we left at around 8:30am. At least I had time for something to eat and, most importantly, to shower.

I drove us down whilst listening to Continuum by John Mayer (epic driving music) and we eventually got there after driving for a while down a bumpy track that we perhaps shouldn't have driven down in a rental car but there we go.
We walked around half an hour down the track and then heard some monkeys - after a while of standing and staring around, we managed to see a few just hanging about and chilling. Got a couple of photos and then all our necks started hurting from looking up so much so we walked back.  It was unbelievably humid.

We bought some french bread and Monterey Jack cheese on the way back and made it into a melty panini when we got back to Ann's house. It was lush.

I took some time to nap in the afternoon - I originally planned to read for a bit but the chair was so comfy that I just drifted off. I guess I missed out on sleep last night so I was fairly tired, and I like having a nap after lunch anyway.
So that was the afternoon.

Andrew's sister Emily arrived from England today (she's doing the short mission in Nicaragua with Andrew and Jess in a week's time) so we went out to get her from the airport in our hire car. On the way we stopped at a Subway where the employees remarked upon my baby face.
It's funny in one way and I do like the nickname Joven which EVERYBODY calls me, but when random members of the public talk about my face the joke can occasionally wear thin.
I thought that growing facial hair would perhaps put an end to it but no.

I should also point out that we went to pick her up from the airport wearing tie-dye tshirts and ridiculous very short coloured shorts. Unfortunately only a photo will do the outfit justice but suffice to say we looked absolutely ridiculous, especially with flip flops as well.
We cruised down to the airport listening to Cat Empire, a cd Ann lent us which was suitably ridiculous to accompany our outfits.

Emily arrived a little late and was happy to see Andrew obviously but slightly shocked at our clothes.
She was a little hungry (as was I to be honest) and we all decided the time was ripe to go to Hooters.

If you don't know about Hooters, its selling point is essentially that the waitresses have larger-than-everage breasts. The decor and quality of food is what I would describe as tacky, and the whole premise of girls in hot pants and tight tshirts is also not exactly high class - we saw an advert for a Bikini Car Wash in three days time. Seeing the seedy men in there that were obviously there to spend the night gawping was a little depressing, but at least it was an experience.

We then cruised back - Andrew almost hit a bollard at high speed but swerved at the last minute - and Emily got settled in and we just sat around chatting for a bit. Ann is so interesting and cool to talk to so we spend a lot of time just hanging out at her house.
It's now time for bed, and I can sleep in tomorrow so I don't want to waste this opportunity.

Goodnight.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment