Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 5 April 2011

#60 - Return to Volcan!

02/04/2011 (posted 05/04/2011)

Woke up after three and a half hours sleep not feeling too tired but just sick from the horrendous amounts of coffee and biscuits I consumed to keep me awake last night.

We rose at 6:30am for some final Hojaldras and mint tea. My sleeping and eating schedule are now well and truly screwed up so methinks the next couple of days will be mainly spent resting and recovering.

Before that, however, we had to actually get back to Volcan.
We hiked to where a guy said he´d pick us up from but got there an hour and a half early. This meant it was time to play Mafia (if you don´t know what that is, it´s essentially a game to waste time but is awesome). I was narrator and under my stewardship poor Christina was killed by being tied with her lips over a car exhaust while Bonnie, the Mafia person, revved the engine. Unfortunately, Jess was killed when Bonnie ate thirteen hot dogs and vomited them over her until she choked.
It´s a brutal game but really passes the time.

We had an hour´s journey in a trailer through the crazily up and down mountain track which was a test of strength for my fragile stomach.
We then got a bus to David which took a couple of hours. I started with the seat next to me free but for the third time during this outreach, an immensely fat person sat next to me. Her thighs were tightly pressed against mine and I literally couldn´t move, not even to get something out of my bag.
Another thing I didn´t appreciate was that when we stopped and an ice-cream seller boarded to sell some, I tried to get one but I was too late - the woman next to me laughed at this. She was in no position to make jokes about food and given that I was low on sleep, I didn´t appreciate her.

We arrived in David and went for lunch. I had rice and a beautiful schnitzel-esque bit of chicken. It was absolutely divine.
We then boarded one final bus and after an hour and a half, we were back in Volcan.

We were greeted with a massive fruit salad and massive potato and chicken salad. I spent the rest of the afternoon eating all these foods that we hadn´t had for so long - fruit obviously, cereal, fruit bread, PROPER coffee, potatoes...
It was bliss.

Due to me having had no internet connection for almost three weeks, I have nineteen blog posts to retrospectively upload so I began doing that. I finally went to bed at 11pm.
It´s so, so good to be back.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment