20/03/2011 (posted 03/04/2011)
Due to last night´s last minute arrangement, we got up at 7am for devotions and breakfast.
We cooked scrambled eggs and sausages, and the Pastor´s wife provided some Hojaldras. Andrew didn´t learn from my mistake earlier in the week and left the plastic on the sausages. We just ate the plastic along with the sausages and it tasted ok.
I still think it´s a ridiculous notion.
We then took a half-hour drive along what may be the most uncomfortable road ever into Costa Rica (once again with no interruption). We complain about potholes in the roads in the UK but this really was something else. It gave me a stitch just from sitting down.
We then waited for an hour and a half before starting - I will never develop a tolerance to Panamanian timing, I just think it´s rude. Our service went ok and we took some photos with the kids before going for lunch at the house of one of the congregation. It was chicken and rice for the umpteenth time this trip but it was delicious so there were no complaints.
We then bought some chocolate milk from the shop and it was a taste sensation, so I bought another one. The company is Dos Pinos and I don´t think we get it in the UK but it is just so creamy and lush.
We then went straight to Guabito to do our 4pm service.
It started at 5:30pm. This timing is beyond a joke now - I used to find it endearing and relaxing but it just buggers up plans.
The service was attended solely by kids (around ten of them) but still went down well. We did one exercise where we gave them a red wristband ,they placed it on a cross to symbolise Jesus´ atonement for our sins and they were then given a white wristband to symbolise the purity we have from Jesus. It was neat.
We returned home to the meal his wife cooked for us - it was loads of boiled Yuca (a potato-like plantane), a delicious gravy and THREE roast chickens between the eight of us. Suffice to say I didn´t go hungry.
The chicken was cooked to perfection and when it was topped off with fresh pineapple, I almost cried with happiness. It was essentially the roast dinner that we had planned so all was well.
After dinner, the Pastor gave us each a gift as a memory of him and our stay here. I got a shot glass which will be excellent if I can get it home in one piece. It will be some feat if I do.
All in all this week has been fairly good.
Cooking has been tremendous fun and thanks to Bonnie, Jess and Andy´s choice food, we´ve cooked some really delicious and varied stuff.
Highlights have to be the cookies and ice cream or yesterday´s spicy tomato and pepper sauce with rice.
We´ve done three services here of which two were only attended by kids. It´s great to see some enthusiastic young guys but it also really highlights the massive job on this Pastor´s hands to grow a church from literally nothing. Prayers for him (Pastor Moran) would be greatly appreciated.
The whole money thing has put a bit of a dampener on things, mainly for the way he asked us on the spot and made us feel uncomfortable. We´ve decided to each make anonymous donations if we want to or not which means that no-one feels pressured or embarrassed or anything.
But overall, it´s been fairly enjoyable. The day off to visit the islands was nicce though the weather could have been a lot better.
Being a leader has been at times stressful and difficult but leading with Christina has been a pleasure and we´ve worked well together. That said, I am looking forward to doing what to do instead of telling others what to do.
I love leading back in England when I am in my comfort zone but having to organise programmes with the useless Panamanian timing has at times being very frustrating. But I won´t have to lead again so I can relax.
Aaaah.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment