17/03/2011 (posted 02/04/2011)
Nice 4:15am start today.
We had a day off so visited the islands of Bocas del Toro and apparently it was essential to get there early so we left the house at 4:45am.
We got a taxi to Changuinola in which Christina, Jess, Andy and I rode in the flatbed. When we arrived, Christina´s hair was a massive frizzbomb.
We then got a bus to the port where we boarded a small electric boat to take us to Isla Colon, the main hub of all the islands. During the journey I ate my sandwiches that I had made for breakfast. Under the influence of Jess and Christina, I had a peanut butter and jam (I will NOT call it jelly) sandwich and I have to admit it was pretty nice.
We arrived at 7:30 and had until 6pm to do whatever we wanted.
After a coffee and immensely sugary doughnut, I went to an internet cafe to update my blog as I was over a week behind and this was starting to annoy me. I posted seven posts and then got sick of it so checked emails and Facebook - in total I spent two and a half hours there but it was worth it for the peace of mind it gave me, plus the weather outside was thoroughly uninspiring.
As a person I like having time to myself and such time is scarce on this trip so simply taking the time to de-stress and let my wind wander was nice.
The islands are one of the major tourist destinations of Panama and as a result, any gringo is leapt upon by dozens of tour reps selling and haggling. I was on the receiving end of this many times and just resorted to walking off.
I did get a local to take me in his powerboat to one of the most popular islands, Red Frog, which apparently has a lovely beach. It was a fifteen minute journey and the driver absolutely caned it there - my bum was in agony when we got there.
The islands are described as paradise and I can imagine that they are as such when illuminated by the sun. However of all the days to go, we chose a drizzly and overcast day so unfortunately couldn´t appreciate the full beauty of where we were. It´s a great shame but as I said earlier, simply having the time to relax and walk on the beaches, no matter how empty or desolate they looked, was a nice break from our packed mission schedule.
I stayed on the island with Jess, Christina and Lissette while Andy, Jonny, Jarett and Bonnie went to scuba dive/snorkel. We went to a small restaurant where we were served some nachos and a lovely refreshing beer by some very seedy looking bar attendants. The beer would have been more necessary and refreshing on a baking hot day but beer is beer and we don´t get too much of a chance to have it.
When we met the others at the end of the day, they were all heavily sunburnt except for Bonnie. Jarett looks permanently embarrassed, Andy´s arms are scorched and Jonny´s torso and legs are painful just to look at.
I have some photos of him putting on Aloe Vera gel and he is pure and simply burnt to a crisp. After my experience last week I am so glad I kept my shirt on today.
There was hardly any sun but their water-based activities must have exposed them. I truly pity them, especially Jonny.
We got the bus back to Changuinola where I hought some extravagant and tight shorts. Andy and Jess have them also and when we go to the airport to pick up Andy´s sister (she flies in on the 11th when us three will be in Panama City), we´re all going to wear them.
Trust me when I say that only photos can do them justice.
We had omelettes when we got home despite all the food I consumed while on the islands.
Somehow I had a pretty much constant appetite and got through a doughnut, a lollipop, three small packets of biscuits, half a baguette, a hot dog, tortilla chips, an ice cream and some fried plantanes.
Oops.
It´s now 9:45pm which is LATE plus I´m getting bitten all over by the damned mosquitoes so off to bed I go.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment