Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Saturday, 16 April 2011

#73 - Paddy´s

15/04/2011

Woke up and had a nice breakfast - coffee, bread, jam and juice. All included in the $9 per night fee.
Score.

I then went to pay the rest of the fee for Machu Picchu - $290 in cash. What annoyed me was that the ATM machines only distributed a maximum of $200 at a time so I had to withdraw it in two separate transactions, each costing $3!
The company then briefed me on what the trip will entail and I am now more excited that I already was. Apparently the second day is all uphill and pretty horrific.

Lunch was a burger, a pitcher of lemonade and three scoops of ice cream in a waffle cone. For the equivalent of 3 quid.
Not bad.

I decided to go to the main square so walked up and wow, it is beautiful.
There´s a cathedral and lots more archaic church-like buildings, and the square has a fountain in the middle. It is truly lovely.
The down side was that, being white, I was hounded by street vendors selling art, crafts, knitted hats and gloves, food and more. It was pretty annoying but I ended up buying two paintings for 110soles (about 22 pounds) when the guy orginally quoted 90soles for one. I also bought some Ray Ban sunglasses for 60soles, reduced from 100 thanks to my new haggling skills.
I was pretty pleased with myself.

I then saw a pub that I had read about in the guidebook - Paddy´s Irish Pub. I just had to go in.
It´s decorated similarly to a trad English pub and sells pints of Abbot Ale and Old Speckles Hen - I think they have run out of Guinness. I tried both and they really haven´t travelled well unfortunately - they weren´t too great. Also, the woman pulling the pints clearly had no idea how to and was removing some of the head with a spoon.
Oh dear oh dear.

The pub was full of gringos which was nice - I got talking to some women from England, Ireland and Canada who are on a package holiday. They were nice and it was nice to talk English for once.

I spent the afternoon there and then went to get some food - a smoothie and a burger for a ridiculously cheap price. I need to cut down on the burgers but I´m not eating between meals (got to watch what I spend) so I´m relaxed.

I went back to Paddy´s in the evening and met a French-Canadian guy from Montreal. He was a nice guy and introduced me to some Peruvians that he had met. He also, having done the Inca trail a few days ago, reiterated that the second day is very tough.
I stayed with him and his friends and we had some drinks before going to a discoteque. I probably had a couple more than I should have and really didn´t feel great afterwards, perhaps partly due to the two pints resting in my stomach from the afternoon.

I got back to the hostel later than the curfew but the guy still let me in which was a big relief.
My first night out as a backpacker was eventful and given the chance again, I´d have certainly drunk less but these are the experiences you go through.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment