Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Thursday, 14 April 2011

#71 - Journey to Cusco Part 1: A series of long waits

13/04/2011

Woke up early to say bye to Andrew, Jess and Emily. They have to get the car back to Volcan by the afternon so decided to leave early to fit in some sightseeing.
All familiar faces are now officially gone. It feels strange.

For the first time since I´ve been here, I managed to talk to Hattie (my sister) and it was really nice to catch up.
I spent the rest of the morning lounging around listening to John Mayer.

I then packed up my things and Ann gave me a lift to a place where Joy (guy from OM) picked me up and gave me a lift to the airport. I got there fine and everything but ended up being there three and a half hours early.
At least I didn´t miss the flight.
I used the time by buying some lunch, getting a Caramel coffee from Dunkin´ Donuts and sitting about reading. I was queued for ages as well so they time went fairly quickly.
A woman security called me ´Joven´ to catch my attention - that name is going to follow me wherever I go. It´s affectionate (or at least I like to think so) when my team call me it but what do I have to do to stop members of the public referring to me as ´young boy´? I´ve grown facial hair but it hasn´t made any difference.

The first of my three flights was pretty luxurious - had a tv screen in the back of the seat in front of me so started watching the most recent Harry Potter film but unfortunately, the flight was too short for me to finish it.

When I got to Bogotá, I had a bit of time to kill so treated myself to a Corona.
I then boarded the flight but it was delayed by one hour! What´s worse is that the power cut out twice which not only meant the air conditioning wasn´t on but it didn´t fill me with confidence for the rest of the flight.
Luckily, I was sitting to a nice woman called Racquel from Brasil so had a good convo with her and she was telling me about her husband and kids and job and Brasil. She spoke pretty good English which was lucky.

There was once again a screen on the back of the seat in front of me but to my dismay, the headphone adapter for my seat wasn`t working so I couldn´t watch or listen to anything. I fancied watching Black Swan but couldn´t.

End of Part 1.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment