Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Thursday, 14 April 2011

#72 - Journey to Cusco Part 2: Alpaca and Pisco Sours

14/04/2011

When my flight arrived in Lima, I went though the dreaded wait for my luggage. I saw the same bags coming round again and was convinced mine had been left in Bogotá but then it miraculously appeared.
Phew.

I was walking through to departures when, like an oasis in the desert, I saw a Starbucks! I almost cried with happiness.
I went in and got chatting to the barista (Felix) and explained how I work in Starbucks in England. He gave me some syrup to try which is exclusive to Peru called Al-something.
He then insisted on giving me my drink for free! It was such a nice gesture and at 3am, really was apreciated.

I then had a short flight to Cusco and finally arrived at 6:30am. It´s worth saying at this point that during my flights and waits at airports, I probably had a combined hour and a half of sleep.
A taxi took me to my hostel and though it was 7:30am and the room was booked for the evening, they let me in. I unpacked my stuff and crashed for a little bit.
The room is decent - it has a TV with cable and four beds (it´s a dorm) which are all free so I have plenty of space. All for $9 per night. Not bad.

Cusco is a lovely city, described as ´tranquil´ by my taxi driver.
It is set against an amazing backdrop of the Andes - can´t wait to take some photos. It´s also, at 350m above sea level, 1000m higher than Machu Picchu and apparently it takes people a little time to adjust to the altitude.

Around lunchtime I went for a walk to find an internet cafe to Skype Amy, and found one after about fifteen minutes. We talked for over an hour which was awesome, and I was even able to use a webcam and microphone from the cafe. It also only cost 2.50soles which is around $0.80 for two hours!

I then took a little walk around Cusco and immediately found the indoor market. It´s essentially dozens of the same stall selling knitted hats, socks, bags, gloves, jumpers and some nice jewellery as well.
As a white person, I got hassled by almost every vendor which was sweet but a little annoying.
One particularly nice lady had some awesome stuff and I very nearly bought a knitted Alpaca jumper, hat, gloves and bag for 80soles, reduced from 120 thanks to my indecision, but I bottled it.
I can always go back.

I then went for lunch or rather was pulled in by a lady. I had an Alpaca steak which was absolutely delicious though I do like Alpacas so I felt a bit bad.
I looked round a few more stalls in the afternoon and then went back to the Hostel for a lie down.

Woke up at 7pm and decided I needed some food so found a cheap little burger joint where I got a chicken sandwich and lemonade for peanuts.
I then walked around a bit, half hoping to bump into some gringos and go for a drink with them, and saw a place advertising discounted Pisco Sours.
These are drinks with a legendary status - they´re a fruity liquor called Pisco mixed with lemon, egg white and some more stuff. It was absolutely delicious and I can tell I´d like the Pisco neat, it has a lovely taste to it.

I walked and got an ice cream and then retired back to my hostel, where I am now sitting at the computer.
It may have taken a while but I´m now in Cusco, and the second half of my trip has now truly begun.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment