24/04/2011 (posted 25/04/2011)
The bus arrived in Puno at 5am.
I didn't realise how high the altitude is here - I thought Cusco was high at 3500m but Puno is around 3800m above sea level. Luckily I've pretty much adjusted to the altitude so I shouldn't have too many problems.
I had breakfast at 5:15am which somehow went down and was then spotted by a woman advertising hostels. In truth I needed one so was happy for her to talk to me, and I ended up getting one for 7pounds per night including 24hr hot water and a TV in my room.
Apparently anyway.
So there I went, unpacked and went for the hot shower as promised. For five minutes only cold came out so I put on my clothes and was about to complain when it finally came up with some hot which, though the amount coming out at one time isn't massive and it very slow, was nice to soothe my body.
I then went for a walk around Puno which in of itself is pretty unspectacular. Most of the buildings are old and ugly and from what my guidebook says, there aren't too many highlights.
One cool thing I did though was climb up a little rocky area to get a full view of Lake Titicaca. It is both massive and beautiful, and I took a few panoramic shots.
I picked up a smoothie for 42p and also went to a travel company and bought a ticket for a trip to the Uros Floating Islands and some Inca ruins on a nearby island for 9pounds altogether. Looking forward to that tomorrow. I then found a place where I got a Pizza and a Pisco Sour for 6pounds. One thing I didn't realise at the time which may come back to haunt me was that there was ice in the drink made from local water which us gringos really aren't meant to drink.
There was a band at the restaurant who were ridiculously stereotypically South American, all in sombreros playing folky stuff. They were too loud for me though so I didn't give them any money.
After the meal, the lost sleep from last night caught up with me and I went back to my hostel to sleep, even though it was about 1:30pm. I accidentally slept until 5pm which will have screwed up my sleeping pattern but ah well.
I then stayed in bed watching Tropic Thunder before going to sleep again.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment