Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Wednesday, 6 April 2011

#64 - Mmm brownies

05/04/2011

Feels nice to be actually writing about what happened today, not just typing up what happened two weeks ago.

I was once again up until about 3:30am uploading pictures to Facebook and such, and I also had a quick Skype with Chris Leadbetter before his lectures. He did the same mission as I did but last February, so it was great comparing notes. Unfortunately he couldn´t see my facial hair in the half-light but ah well.

Again today was fairly uneventful.
However we said farewell to a member of our team - Lissette. She lives in David which is close and seeing as our schedule is complete, there´s no reason for her not to be at home. It was sad to say bye as it has been the eight of us together for so long and that´s now broken. She has been such an amazing asset and help to our team, and has never stopped working hard. If you think about it, I as an individual may have to prepare something for each service but Lissette has to translate EVERYTHING that any member of our team says so it´s a tiring job. But she has never once complained.
The one tragedy is that despite all our hard work, we never found her an indigenous husband (that was a running joke for the final two weeks).

We then watched the Man U V Chelsea Champions League quarter final match in a local restaurant. The first half was pretty exciting but it kind of died down later on. It was nice to be able to watch some live football though, and I´m looking forward to catching the second leg.

The afternoon was spent going to the Panaderia and not doing much else.

In the evening we went to Ryan and Kelly´s house. They cooked us up a stir-fry and rice and noodles which was delicious, and pudding was freshly made warm brownies with ice cream. It was just unreal.
We all took turns holding Jacob (one month old already!). He´s so cute and tiny - both of my little cousins are now way past the stage he´s at where you have to support the head etc.

We then watched Oceans 11 which I´ve never seen before, and it was much better than Repo Men which we saw at Roger´s. I can´t stress enough how important it is that you never see that film.

I am currently in the process of uploading all my photos to Facebook so perhaps in a few hours time there will be several albums stuffed with memories of all our times so far. There may be a few duplicates but I´ve tried to get rid of most of those, and later on there are some beautiful panoramic shots which I really recommend you to look at.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment