12/04/2011
Slept in til midday. Standard.
It was beautiful, the bed here is very similar to mine at home.
When I look back at what I did today, there really isn't that much. After I got up, I had breakfast and then very quickly lunch. Andrew and Emily went to the canal and brought back bread and cheese so I made a melted cheese baguette again. Mmm.
We sat about reading and chatting for ages, and then it was time for a special treat.
At Andrew's strict request, Emily had brought some scones and jam from England that their mum has made and then frozen. We also bought some cream from the local supermarket and whisked it to make clotted cream.
We then had the fantastic situation of Andrew, Emily and I enjoying Twinings English Breakfast Tea (Andrew was specific in his request once again) with Jess and Ann, two Americans. They seemed to like this small insight into middle class English life.
The scones were nice and light and fluffy, just right.
We finally decided to do something and went to Casco Viejo, the old city. There are a few restaurants and some nice European architecture to look at as well as some nice views of the ocean.
We walked round for a bit and then found a restaurant for dinner. I had Pepperoni pizza - what else?
It was a nice way to spend my final night here in Panama. Well, my final night until the end of my trip when I have a couple of days here before I fly home.
I thought it would be difficult spending two months with new people, but all of our team were English speakers and we were so closely united by our mission that it was just a great trip.
Now, however, I am completely on my own.
It's going to be a great experience and hopefully my Spanish speaking will increase quickly as I will literally have to speak it the whole time. No translators any more.
Very exciting and daunting at the same time, but at least I have a few days in Cusco to get settled in before I climb Machu Picchu.
To an extent, it doesn't matter if things go wrong after that as I haven't booked anything (except my flight back up to Panama City) so if I turn up late for stuff or anything like that, I'll just roll with it and be flexible and adaptable.
It sure is going to be exciting.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment