23/04/2011 (posted 25/04/2011)
Final day here in Cusco, so Steph and I finally went to the San Pedro market that I've heard a lot about.
Upon arrival was harrassed by people selling juices, all thrusting their menus at us even though they all sell exactly the same drinks for exactly the same price. I had a Mango and Orange one and it was lush as well as a nice rarity to find fruit. Maybe I´m not looking hard enough but I've hardly seen it anywhere.
We then wandered around Cusco for a little bit before finding somewhere to have Cuy (Guinea Pig). There's no way I'm going to miss out on this speciality.
We were accosted by someone trying to get us to go to his restaurant and when we secured the deal of Guinea Pig with two free Pisco Sours that was it.
It came sizzling but still with its head and claws on which wasn't the most appetising thing ever. The pitiful amount of meat you get is hard to get off the bone and smells almost like fish. It was hardly a taste sensation either so it goes down as one of those foods you have to try but I won't be rushing to have it again.
To subsidise the pitiful amount we had eaten, I sold my principles and went to McDonalds for a McFlurry. I have to say it tasted delicious.
I then went to pick up my bus ticket to take me to Puno on Lake Titicaca. It costs the equivalent of 9pounds for a six-hour bus ride with a leather chair that apparently reclines to flat.
Not bad.
We then went for a pizza and then on to a pub where we played Darts - I started strongly but she came back to win.
I then picked up my stuff, said bye to Steph and got a taxi down to the bus station. Although we´ve known each other for less than two days, it's been nice to spend time with someone else rather than being on my own and the beauty of travelling is that you can make friends easily.
So I got on the bus and found that the seats in fact did not fully recline as the woman said but were still comfortable enough and I managed to get a little sleep.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment