Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 15 May 2011

#102 - ¿Dance with me?

14/05/2011

My bus arrived in Temuco at 7am.
I am due to stay with my dad's friend, Robert, who lives her but 7am is way too early to call on anyone so I decided to kill some time by finding a place for coffee.

That was easier said than done. At this time, Temuco was groggily rolling over in its bed, checking the alarm clock and lazily stretching in preparation for work a bit later. What I'm trying to evoke from this metaphor is that nowhere was open, there were just a few street vendors setting up their stalls.

I eventually found somewhere: a gas station. The coffee was Nescafe which goes against my morals but I had no choice in the matter, so bought a Nescafe Mochaccino and sat down in the warmth. I had been wearing the same clothes for two days and probably smelt awful, but this was a public place so nobody could complain.

I sat drinking and writing some stuff (finished Absolute Power last night by the way - brilliant ending) and then it got to 8:30am. I decided this was a sociable enough hour to call in to my house for the next few days so called a taxi and off I was.
It took about half an hour for him to find it so I turned up at 9am, a very respectable hour though I looked and smelt far from respectable.

I sat and had some tea with their daughter, Belinda, and then Robert and his wife came downstairs and we sat and talked about where I'd been and this sort of thing.

Then, at 10:30am, I finally got into a shower and it was beautifully warm and felt really damn good. I was in there for ages and never wanted to get out to be honest.
But eventually I did, and the FA Cup final was on so I watched that with Robert - shame Stoke didn't win.

In the afternoon, I went with Robert to see his farm that he has outside of Temuco. When I say farm, I mean 13 hectares (a LOT) of land with hazelnut trees on them that he grows and sells to chocolate-making industries.

In the evening, we had some dinner and Natalie, the eldest daughter at 24, made some drinks. It was beer with some lemon juice and tabasco in a glass with salt all around the top. It tasted ok but all the tabasco settled at the bottom so the last sips were a bit full-on.

After that, I sank a couple of beers and Natalie had the idea of going to a pub.
Why not? So we went to a Chilean pub and watched a band playing some native music. To drink, I had some Pisco and Cokes which were good. What was also funny was that people were dancing the traditional dance as a way of flirting, and this was fun to watch. Instead of making eye-contact or trying out a chat-up line, they fully went for a dance which was interesting to see and the whole evening was a great insight into Chilean culture.

JG

2 comments:

  1. In the evening, we had some dinner and Natalie, the eldest daughter at 24, made some drinks. It was beer with some lemon juice and tabasco in a glass with salt all around the top.
    JUST love the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice when you get to see another culture but in the everyday life like how does the flirting system works. I´m currently in Argentina, in one of those apartments in Buenos Aires they give for rent, and I found out that flirting here does not have much place. A guy at the pub comes and says: "hey, give me a kiss!" It is crazy but it works for them!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete