Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Monday, 9 May 2011

#96 - Salar de Uyuni Part 2: Crazy lakes

08/05/2011 (posted 09/05/2011)

On the contrary to what the other people said, I had an excellent and comfortable sleep last night. Perhaps the alcohol helped, in which case it was totally justified.

Our breakfast, which our guide Rodrigo prepared, was quite decent. Scrambled eggs, bread and tea which is all you really want when you spend several hours in a 4x4 each day.

Most of the day was spent driving through a hilly desert area and when I say it was beautiful, I mean it was beautiful. Just a vast expanse of desert as far as the eye can see in each direction.

We also visited some more lakes which, when set against the aforementioned backdrop of desert, were awesome. One of them had an absolutely perfect reflection of the mountains behind it, so much so that when I looked at it upside down through my legs it was trippy and looked genuinely exactly like a real mountain.

Lunch was schnitzel and potatoes, which was a winner.

We then visited Lake Colorado which was completely red due to the organisms in the lake or something - whatever it was, it looked really cool and there were even flamingoes hanging around by the edge of it. It was a spectacle.

It was only a short journey to our accomodation for tonight, which again seems comfortable and spacious and warm though the air here is noticeably thinner than last night.
We got there nice and early at 3:30pm, leaving a lot of time to kill. So out came my whisky as well as some wine and beer the other guys bought at the shop round the corner. We also bought loads of chocolate and cheesy crisps for no apparent reason and just wolfed them all down.

This left no appetite for dinner, which looked really delicious. First time I have voluntarily skipped a meal for quite some time.

The others stayed up for a bit drinking some more and I heard someone being sick, so I assume they overdid it.
I, on the other hand, went to bed at 7:30pm.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment