Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Wednesday, 11 May 2011

#98 - Relaxing

10/05/2011 (posted 11/05/2011)

Slept in to catch up on the sleep I'd lost by getting up at 5am yesterday.
My roommates (who had done the Salar de Uyuni tour at the same time as me) said they were just going to relax today, and that seemed an appealing thought. I've been constantly either visiting stuff or travelling for so long now and haven't taken much time to sit down, relax and take in the culture.
So I decided I would do that.

I sat outside in the lovely courtyard at our hostel just reading for a couple of hours, and then went out to book an excursion for tomorrow. I ended up booking a trip to the Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon) which looks stunning, and we go at sunset which will only add to the experience. I also went to a company who offer a nighttime stargazing experience - a french guy has set up loads of really powerful telescopes in his garden and invites people to look at constellations and planets and stuff. I personally think that the stars are the most beautiful of God's creations so I put my name down.

We then all went for a milkshake in the plaza and just sat chatting - it literally is the first time for ages that I've taken the opportunity to do this, and San Pedro is a beautiful place to do it.

Next, I exerted some energy in walking to the internet cafe for a mammoth Skype session. I first talked to Amy and then to Dad, Mum and Hattie all together which was really nice, particularly as it is Dad's birthday (won't write the age on here). After around half an hour and trying the third laptop, they even got a webcam working - who said adults can't use technology? But in all seriousness, it was good to catch up and I am really looking forward to being back home now.

After that, I went to the office of the stargazing company to pay but they said that it was cancelled for tonight due to clouds. That was annoying, but I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Went out for a meal with my roommates and it was great to socialise with some genuinely nice people and also to enjoy some more lovely Chilean food - very impressed with what I've had so far in this country. We then went to get some ice creams and ate them back at the hostel.
Tim and Zoe went to bed as they are getting up at 5am tomorrow for a hike but I stayed up with Mariet just chatting and chilling out in the cool evening - some stars in the sky would have topped it off but it was nice either way.

This day has been truly great - I feel I've managed to take in some of this little town through just sitting and observing rather than running from place to place cramming activities in.
That said, I don't want to take too many days in which I do nothing as I will be home in three weeks time so time is precious.
But today was lovely.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment