29/04/2011 (posted 02/05/2011)
The TV here doesn't have any English channels plus it started at 5am here, so I missed the live coverage of the Royal Wedding.
However I did manage to watch the highlights on BBC World News when I went to an awesome cafe for some brunch. I was the only patron so proudly put on the good old BBC and watched the live reaction and highlights of the whole thing - makes me proud to be British.
Also, the breakfast was special. Toast, eggs, a sausage, juice and a delicious mocha for 3 quid. Just an exquisite meal in so many ways.
I then got a bus to La Paz, the country's administrative capital city. The seat was fairly comfortable but I was sat across from a ridiculous Australian woman who kept making the most pointless observations which tortured my ears for the majority of the journey. I felt truly sorry for her husband sitting next to her, and in fact for the rest of her family and friends who have to put up with her on a daily basis.
When I got there I was very efficient: I found a hostel, booked my place to cycle on the 'World's Most Dangerous Road' and booked a day trip to Tiwanaku, some archaeological ruins near here.
I then went into La Paz to look round and find some food. It can only be described as mental.
There were bustling streets with market stalls everywhere selling everything from clothes to hammers to cooking pans. The one thing I couldn't find in abundance was street food, but I eventually got some fried dough drizzled with honey for the equivalent of 25p. This equals success in my book.
I then fought my way back to the hostel and somehow didn't get lost.
The market may have been crazy but it was kind of fun.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment