Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Monday, 2 May 2011

#89 - Tiwanaku/Food Poisoning

01/05/2011 (posted 02/05/2011)

By the end of this month I'll be home. Strange thought.

I got up to visit Tiwanaku, apparently Bolivia's most impressive archaeological site. I was about to go downstairs for breakfast when I felt very weird and kept doing burps smelling of eggs. I decided this was reason enough not to get breakfast.
During the journey to the site, I felt ill and was relieved to get to the toilet when we finally arrived.

We looked round a museum with some artefacts and the tour guide then said 'ten more minutes to look round and then we'll move on'. I used this time to go to the toilet again and then waited by the entrance for him and the rest of my group.
They didn't show up for forty-five minutes and I was just waiting like an idiot for the whole of that time. The guide then came bounding towards me from the ruins making stupid excuses that someone told him I was already at the main site when I couldn't possibly have been as he had my ticket. He also said he thought I was in the museum, but yet again he had my ticket to get there.
In short, he screwed up.

It ended up ok as he gave me a one-to-one tour of all the bits I had missed, and he was a nice guy so I didn't make too much of a fuss about it. Mistakes happen, I just wish he has acknowledged this and apologised instead of giving ridiculous excuses. The site itself is fairly impressive with lots of statues and some ruins of buildings, but nothing special. Nothing like Machu Picchu.

After the tour, we went for lunch which I mistakenly ordered even though I didn't feel too well. The first course of soup completely filled me up but I had a tiny bit of llama steak before I was beaten.
I then felt horrific for the entire bus ride back and was desparate to get back without being sick in the bus.
Luckily, I got to the hostel just in time.

I then went to an internet cafe but left straight away as my stomach felt weird and I couldn't rely on not throwing up or worse in the middle of the cafe, and I didn't want to take that chance.

I then went to bed at 5:30pm and went pretty much straight to sleep.
It may have been the food yesterday or some weird bug, but whatever it is I hope it's gone tomorrow.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment