Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 17 May 2011

#104 - Three coffees

16/05/2011 (posted 17/05/2011)

So up I got at 4:30am, got a taxi to the bus station and got the first of my two buses.
Or rather, that should have happened and it did except for the first part. The alarm went off at 4:30am, I turned it off, went back to sleep and was awoken at 5:05am when the house phone went and the taxi driver told Robert that my taxi was outside and was waiting for me. Oops.
Waking up Robert and his wife wasn't part of the plan, and I felt bad for it.

So I eventually got to the station and onto the bus.
I travelled in a "Cama" bus which means the seats recline loads and allow you to sleep on them. And I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that in those three hours, I had some of the best sleep I have ever had. I have obviously discovered my optimum angle for sleeping - around 30degrees - because three hours seemed like about ten and I had loads of dreams and woke up feeling really, really good. They gave me a roll, a weird pastry and a sugary coffee which was also a bonus.

After that, I arrived in Osorno, had some scrambled eggs and a coffee and then got my next bus to Bariloche, Argentina.  They gave me a ham roll and another sugary coffee, making it three so far today - I was buzzing.
The journey was fairly boring but not too long, and customs was quick and efficient; the benefit of being in developed countries  unlike the Peru/Bolivia fiasco (see previous blogs).

So I got to Bariloche, got a taxi to the centre in which we got caught in traffic and I watched the meter rising as we were stationary, but despite that it sure is beautiful. It's set next to a massive lake which you can see between the buildings of the town. There are also loads of chocolate shops selling what look to be delicious boutique chocolates which I have to try at some stage, and a fair few places advertising fondue - this place must think it is in Switzerland.

I quickly found a hostel and went out for some food, settling with a pizzeria where I had potato salad with some cold cuts of meat and it was pretty nice - I wasn't hungry enough for a full pizza.
I only have one full day here so tomorrow, I'm going to go somewhere to get a better view of the lake and maybe try a chocolate shop.
In fact, definitely try one.

JG

1 comment:

  1. i'm assuming you mean 150 degrees? as otherwise your head would pretty much be at your toes

    ReplyDelete