02/05/2011 (posted 03/05/2011)
Woke up to find that my watch, my trusty watch that I have been through so much with and was the only source of timekeeping for our whole team throughout the mission in Panama, has died.
This must be bad luck.
On the up side, after 15 hours of sleep I feel better again which is always a positive.
My ´breakfast´ was a bread roll, some butter and jam and a cup of tea. Are you joking? Even though it cost just short of 1pound extra on my hostel bill, I expect a lot more for that amount of money here in Bolivia.
To add insult to injury, I went to settle up for the three nights I'd stayed there and they charged me for three nights and three 'breakfasts' even though I'd only had one. I corrected the woman who then told me that breakfast wasn't optional but was in fact included whether or not I chose to have it.
This was in direct contradiction to what the guy said when I first went there, so I argued my point in patronisingly simple Spanish for her. She made some calls and eventually got the manager, who relented and I was finally charged the proper amount.
The amount of money in question was tiny, but it was the principle of being wrongly charged, particularly as the hostel hadn't exactly been amazing for the money I paid.
When I left having paid the proper amount, I was pleased with myself.
I got a taxi to the bus station and arrived at 9am, only to find that the next bus to Sucre (my next destination) was at 7pm. That was annoying.
So I had ten hours with which to do something.
I started by visiting an internet cafe and catching up with a few people. I also found out that Osama bin Laden is dead, which came as a bit of a shock. It has to be said that the Americans cheering and somehow suggesting that revenge is justified and it is a great victory for their country is truly sickening.
I then went for a lovely Caesar salad at lunchtime. I felt like a bit of a hippy walking into a nice-ish cafe with a massive rucksack and wearing swimming shorts, a fleece and walking boots but ah well.
Breaking News: I have come to the decision to shave my beard when I get home. I feel that the honeymoon period is over and it is just annoying and looks a little silly, though I now know that the option is there for the future. I am, however, going to wait until I get home and use my beloved and trusty Wilkinson Sword Quattro to apply the clinical cut. I have to say I just like being clean shaven, sorry to Andrew Howe for reneging on my promise to keep it.
Anyway back to La Paz. I went to try and find the ´'Witches Market' that the fiesty Irish woman from Isla del Sol had recommended but unfortunately, I couldn't find it despite going to the road it is apparently on. Maybe the women only come out in the dark or something.
I then went to see the mightily impressive Presidential Palace and the square around it, where I came across perhaps the highest concentration of pigeons I have ever seen. I was flown at several times and almost hit by some rogue ones.
I also managed to pick up a watch for 3pounds which isn't bad - hopefully it'll last me until the end of my trip.
I then went to another internet cafe to watch the First Sunday Video Notices since I've been away, and they were absolutely hilarious. Just inspired ideas and some great banter, makes me miss First Sunday and all of my best friends even more.
Dinner was a hamburger from a street vendor with some interesting spicy sauces - I was wary of going for his chicken option as the idea of another bout of food poisoning doesn't particularly appeal.
It was finally time to head back to the bus station, so I got a taxi and he charged me double what the guy in the morning did! He obviously thought he earned his extra money by pointing to the massive sign saying "Terminal de Bus La Paz" and saying "Es la terminal de bus". Cheeky whatsit.
And then off I went.
La Paz has been quite nice, certainly a busy city with lots more to explore that I won't have seen but I have only about four more weeks of travelling and can't afford to spend ages in any place. Also, I am more interested to see natural wonders than big cities so nice as it may be, now is definitely the right time to leave La Paz.
On I go.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment