Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Saturday, 28 May 2011

#116 - The Return: Part 1

28/05/2011

I was up at 2am this morning - after three hours of sleep, I didn't feel great.

I had a shower, packed up all of my last things and left Alan's flat at 3am. There were plenty of taxis around so I hailed one and got him to take me to a place which I had been told a shuttle bus runs to the airport fairly regularly. The driver had his reservations, saying that the buses may not run at this strange hour and he was unfortunately right so I asked him to take me straight to the airport. This turned out to be a good thing as we talked at length about a wide variety of subjects: football, faith, the negative influence of the Vatican, drugs and more. He was a nice guy and really open and honest, and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

At the airport, I was very bad and got a Starbucks though at 5am I really did need the coffee. I also got some freshly-squeezed orange juice simply to get rid of my Chilean money as it is no use to me anywhere else. The machine that made the juice from the fresh oranges was really cool, and I took great delight from just watching it being made.

On a more serious note, in the passport control queue a guy slightly in front of me passed out right in front of my eyes. His young daughter was by him crying her eyes out and he really seemed in a bad way - the room was fairly humid so it could have perhaps been lack of oxygen. All I could do to help was give him my bottle of water, so that I did and he seemed to be conscious which is certainly a positive.

The flight to Bogota was pretty pleasant - I had a TV screen on the back of the seat in front of me on which I watched episodes of Two And a Half Men, Friends and The Big Bang Theory as well as My Sister's Keeper (managed to avoid crying, just) and No Strings Attached, a slightly more light-hearted movie. He gets some bad press but Ashton Kutcher is good at comedy acting to be fair to him.

I then got to Bogota and had a bit of time to kill so got a cheeseburger as I waited, and was then off to Panama City on a nice one-hour flight. I still had a TV screen so listened to a bit of music and also slept a tiny bit and then I was there.

Upon arrival, I learned about Man United being outclassed by Barcelona and then got a taxi. The driver was nice enough but when we got to the business end of the ride, he went the wrong way and then got frustrated with me telling him to go the right way - he clearly had the place confused with somewhere else.
Anyhow, I eventually arrived back at Ann's house. I am staying with her and her family for a couple of days before I fly home which will be great as I had such a great time staying here in April.

Upon arrival, my stomach was in several places due to the high intake of coffee and different foods and fizzy drinks during the day so I just opted for an Earl Grey tea, checked Facebook and got to bed.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment