Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 15 May 2011

#103 - Eel

15/05/2011

Had a nice sleep in after getting in early this morning from the pub.

We had an outing to the beach which was nice - all four of us went firstly for some lunch.It was at a restaurant right by the sea and I had a fish, which apparently is half eel and half fish, in batter with some chips washed down  with a beer. It was delicious, probably because it's wild and not processed like most of the stuff in England.
After the meal, we had some liqueurs and the name of the one I had apparently translates to 'hickey' - if you don't know what that is, you don't really need to - for those of you do, suffice to say we made a lot of jokes about the name. It was really nice - maybe every meal should finish with a hickey?
Too far.

We then went for a walk on the beach which, although the sky was extremely grey and overcast, looked impressive and rather beautiful. I got some cool photos though panoramic ones obviously don't work because the waves don't stay still. We also collected some agates - not sure what we call them - but they are little white stones that look nice. I got a few of the particularly round ones.

After that, we drove home a slightly different route that entailed crossing a river only not by boat, but by ferry. As in an old-fashioned ferry, a bit of metal attached to a pulley stretching all the way across the river. It was a fun way to travel and the guys who operate it don't even charge a fee, which makes me wonder why they bother but it was a quirky thing to do and I enjoyed it.

Got back to Temuco and I went with Natalie to get my bus ticket - I'm going to Bariloche, Argentina tomorrow. It took around fifteen minutes to get there and then we went to each company to compare some offers.
When I picked one, they wouldn't let me book a ticket without seeing my passport even though I know my number off my heart and can just about spell my name. I tried to explain to them the basic logic of the following concept: they might as well sell me a ticket because if I turn up tomorrow without a passport, they will have my money and won't allow me on the bus so they'll be laughing.
However it was in vain so we went back to the house, then back to the station where the guy took ages to type in my details and laughed when he mis-typed and wrote 'Jonathan James Gay'.
Hilarious.

Eventually we got back to the house after having wasted goodness knows how much time. I had some scrambled eggs on toast with a beer and then some good old English Breakfast Tea.

So tomorrow I'm off to Bariloche and then a couple more places and I'll be back here in Temuco at the weekend.
Then to Santiago where I fly to Panama City, then two days there and then I'm home.

JG

1 comment: