11/05/2011 (posted 12/05/2011)
Had a nice slow morning again, and then went to the shop across the road for breakfast.
The woman who works there is really nice and makes me a breakfast of warm fresh bread, fried eggs, cereal and tea.
I then went to the plaza and chilled for a little bit, checked my emails and went for some delicious lunch. It was a mediterranean salad, chicken in mustard sauce and mango mousse for dessert, and all for a cheap price due to the set menu.
In the afternoon, I went on an excursion to ther Valle de la Luna (Valley of the Moon) and Valle de la Muerte (Valley of Death) which were equally beautiful - vast sweeping desert landscapes and then a horizon of snow-capped mountains. Suffice to say some beautiful photos were taken.
We also managed to get to Valle de la Luna in time for sunset, and that was extraordinary in managing to add more beauty to the scene in front of me.
When I got back, I went for dinner with Tim, Zoe and Mariet which was nice as we are all leaving tomorrow. I had a pizza and a glass or two of some beautiful Chilean red wine - I'm sure anyone who has been to Wine Night in Leamington is insanely jealous of that.
Although our stargazing was cancelled last night, luckily it was on tonight and so all four of us went at 10pm. The guide started by explaining some constellations in the sky and why we see different ones from different points of the Earth at different times and such. I understood some of it but either way, it was great just seeing a starry sky.
We then went to check out all the telescopes this guy, Alain Maury, has set up in his garden. There were around ten and they were all focussed on different constellations or planets. We saw Saturn and its' rings really clearly which was really cool, and also got a great close-up view of the Moon. As I alluded to yesterday, I am absolutely fascinated by stars and to think how big they are and how far away just blows my mind. Shows how insanely big God is to have made all this stuff.
The tour finished at midnight and all of our group went inside for a hot drink - I opted for Earl Grey tea.
It was a day full of natural wonders and crazily beautiful sights - I really am blessed to be able to see all this stuff. I am leaving San Pedro de Atacama tomorrow and I will really miss it - I have had so many positive experiences here in such a short time.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment