Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Thursday, 19 May 2011

#107 - Rain rain go away

19/05/2011

Darth Vader slept in my room last night.
At least, the sound the old black dude was making strongly resembled that of the infamous Sith lord, and it was bloody annoying.

I got up and went for breakfast which was unlimited coffee and two small croissants. Not too bad.

My original plan was to either do a small hike or even a boat trip on the town's major attraction, Lago Lacar. However, these plans were scuppered when I looked outside and saw that it was torrentially raining. This forced me to resign myself to doing essentially nothing, as all the attractions of this little place are outdoors.
So I did nothing.

I killed some time by sitting in a cafe with a Coke Zero and got some chocolate milk as well - boy that was nice. I then went for lunch at a nice little cafe where they served the best bread rolls I have had over here as a starter. They were strangely heavy to hold but unbelievably nice tasting.

After that, I went to an internet cafe and chatted to some people to will away the time. I also had some Skype convos with Steph (first time since I've been here), James (also first time) and Amy (not the first time).

It was, mercifully after wasting so much time at a computer, eventually time for dinner so I went back to the same place I went for lunch as it was cheap and good, a rare combination in this town.

And then I walked back, in the rain, to my hostel where, upon paying, I found that having my HI card doesn't entitle me to any discount here even though it says it is a HI place. That is annoying - I'm not going to another HI place in protest at them persuading me to buy a card to gain the discounts.

When I got back to my dorm, there was an English guy who grew up in Kenilworth, which is a crazy coincidence! (Kenilworth is 25 mins from Harbury, where I live). So that was cool.
However, I unfortunately couldn't join him and his mate for some beers as I have to get up at 5am and don't plan on sleeping in and alcohol will inevitably make this a strong possibility.

Hopefully the rest of my time here will be more enjoyable than the past couple of days - I have really done very little but it hasn't been my fault.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment