17/05/2011
I got up planning to do a big cycle ride up to the top of a hill which apparently has awesome views of the surrounding lakes.
But first, I needed some breakfast. I went to the main street expecting to find some cafes doing standard breakfasts but couldn't find any - all the places here are really upmarket and I didn't fancy paying a fiver for some bread and jam.
So I did the only decent thing, and went to a chocolate shop with an adjoining cafe. The cappuccino was pretty good as was the Tiramisu flavoured cupcake that I had - wow is the only word I can use to describe it. I'm sort of glad I'm not spending more time here as I would visit such places every day, perhaps multiple times, and inevitably gain a lot of weight very quickly.
After that little treat, I went to the Tourist Info office where a lovely woman gave me the deets I needed to find the bike place . I got a bus out of town to a bike rental place and got off.
It was then that I noticed the chairlift 100m down the road, and I decided that this would be easier and more fun that cycling up, so that's what I did. It certainly was fun.
When I got to the top, I could instantly see what the guidebook said when it talked of "the most camera-battery depleting 360degrees views" - I took a good deal of photos, and the low battery symbol flashed on my camera for good measure.
I sat in the cafe and got a herbal tea - I have had many of these over here, and am really enjoying them. This one was camomile and blackberry.
The way down was better as the lake was there in all its glory right in front of me as I slowly descended. I then bussed it back to town and headed to an internet cafe for a Skype call with Amy. Unfortunately, the two microphones I tried didn't work so I had to type while listening to her.
I had to kill some time because the steak house with the reputation of being the best opened at 8pm and I was determined to try some Argentinian steak, so I waited and eventually it was time. I ordered 'Bife de Chorizo' which is basically a big, fat, juicy steak with the biggest pile of french fries I have ever seen.
And it was without doubt the best steak I've ever had. No sauce, just the meat and the fries and it didn't need anything to add to its awesomeness. That said, it was a ridiculous portion and afterwards, my stomach was aching whenever I bent even slightly so I went for a walk to try and ease it down through my intestines.
Whatever the pain, it was absolutely worth it.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment