Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Saturday, 28 May 2011

#115 - Double dose of Starbucks

27/05/2011 (posted 28/05/2011)

My morning was spent fairly leisurely, besides a walk to collect my laundry. On the way back, I was nearly hit by a car for the umpteenth time on the same bit of road.

It is the definition of stupidity: when the Green Man starts flashing, this obviously indicates that it's ok for pedestraisns to cross the road but at the same time, cars are given the green light to exit the adjascent main road and drive right across the pedestrian walkway. If that's too much imagery to picture, essentially there is a green light for both pedestrians and cars at the same time on the same bit of road. Doesn't make sense to me, and it is extremely dangerous. The numpty who designed the cretinous system should be fired on the spot for gross misconduct for being a general idiot.

My taste for good coffee reignited, I returned to Starbucks for lunch and had a pretty tasty toastie to go alongside my Caramel Macchiato.

After this trip to my second home, I went back to El Oasis to hang out with the guys. Greg, who did the talk in Spanish but is in fact from Kentucky), showed me round the house and the local area as well. I was a little disappointed: as soon as he said he's from Kentucky, I quipped "I've enjoyed a lot of your fried chicken" but he didn't buy it. Obviously wasn't enough of a 'zinger' of a joke, or maybe he 'chickened out'.
Sorry, enough puns - they were both poultry attempts at humour anyway.

But yeah, he explained that the whole place is run purely on donations that the staff receive from friends/family/sponsors and then all pool together. It's an awesome concept, and so encouraging to see a place like this running and if you had seen how much the guys who came last night were loving it, you'd be as grateful as me for this place.

The one unfortunate thing is that they are going on a retreat for the weekend but I can't go as I fly tomorrow morning - it sounds like it will be absolutely brilliant but it isn't possible for me to go so that is, unfortunately, that. They were all working hard preparing for the retreat so I left at around 4pm as I didn't want to be in the way, not that they ever made me feel like I was.

I went to an internet cafe to check emails and Facebook and stuff, and just sat watching some beautiful conversation unfolding between Piers Morgan and several other famous people on Twitter. He essentially uses his Twitter account to mock or jibe celebrities such as Rio Ferdinand, Michael Owen and Alan Sugar and started on Wayne Routledge yesterday before declaring "would love to continue intellectually lacerating England's second-rate footballers but I have to go and record America's Number 1 news show". Although he's incredibly smug and full of himself, he is also hilarious to follow on Twitter.

For dinner, I went to a place which offers an all-you-can-eat buffet but my stomach certainly wasn't up for anything like that, so I went for a Caesar Salad which was still massive. For an after-dinner dose of caffeine, I went back to Starbucks. May be overdoing them if I'm honest.

When I got home, I packed up my stuff and with my new purchases (more presents, I have a lucky family and friends) it just about all fitted in. I then went to get a few hours of sleep before my early start tomorrow.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment