Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Friday, 13 May 2011

#100 - In transit

12/05/2011 (posted 13/05/2011)

So today is my final day in San Pedro de Atacama. I have truly loved almost everything about this place, from the unpaved sandy streets to the cafes to the natural beauty all around it.

I started the day by saying bye to Zoe and Tim, as their bus to Argentina left at 9:30am. It is sad to see them go but all good things must come to an end. Then, as ever, I went for breakfast at the shop across the road, lovingly prepared by the woman who owns it.

I then packed up all my stuff and checked out of the hostel - luckily Mariet and I could leave our stuff there and didn't have to lug it round with us, particularly her as her bus is at 8pm.

I went to an internet cafe and checked my emails, and then we went for lunch at a nice cafe which specialises in quiche. I had some with chorizo in and it was absolutely divine.

After lunch, I collected my stuff and went to the bus station. It took a bit of time to find it as the company I'm travelling with has its own car park a little away from the other companies but luckily I found it in time. I then said bye to Mariet, who has been great to talk to and has a really great sense of humour - she reminds me a lot of my only other Dutch friend, Marieke, and I'll resist the urge to make a joke at her expense.

So on the bus I got, with 23 hours ahead of me.
They put on The Shawshank Redemption straight away but unfortunately it was dubbed over in Spanish plus I didn't have any headphones so couldn't listen to it. So I got out my book and decided to pass the time the old fashioned way.

The journey was largely without incident - I just read a lot of my book, Absolute Power by David Baldacci, and also slept for absolutely ages. We stopped once for fourty-five minutes to get some dinner and then were off again.

Can't believe this is my 100th post - it's something of a milestone, and I don't have too many left to do before I'm back home and there's nothing interesting enough to blog about. I jest - I absolutely love my life at home and am really looking forward to being there.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment