Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 24 May 2011

#111 - Yes chef

23/05/2011 (posted 24/05/2011)

After the beers last night and some general tiredness, I was grateful for a sleep-in.

When I got up, everyone was doing stuff so I just read a bit and relaxed - I was feeling very lothargic. I had a couple of Braeburns which weren't bad at all, but the second one wasn't quite crunchy enough for my liking.

Lunch was another winner - a sort of bolognaisey-thing with rice. However we had it at about 2pm which meant I was really damn hungry - the meal times are pretty different here, we've had dinner at 10pm before at which point I was wasting away. Different cultures I suppose.

In the afternoon, I went with Natalie first to get my bus ticket and then to check out Temuco's main attraction (not that there's much competition, no offence) - it's Indian market. The local indigenous population (Mapuches) make crafts and sell them all mainly to gringos at a big indoor market. The stuff was quite cool but I've seen a lot of similar things in Bolivia and Peru for around 1/5th of the price. I have started feeling really cold wherever I am, inside or outside, so wore three layers plus legwarmers under my trousers and gloves. I think I'm coming down with something.

After that, I went to a bakery and got some cakes - one was sort of iced bun-ish but with the stuff inside, and the other was two bits of shortbread stuck together with caramel. They were both amazing.

We then went to a supermarket, because the family have a tradition that any guest has to cook a meal during their stay and I was bang up for the challenge. I got pasta, tinner tomatoes, peppers, chillis, onions, cheap wine and some gourmet sausages - I decided to go for a standard Italian-style sauce. I also got some Carte Dor ice-cream and cookies for dessert.

So when we got back, I started working my magic in the kitchen - firstly I got the vegetables frying to soften them up, then browned off the sausages, heated the tomato sauce and added a lot of wine, got the pasta going, added the vegetables and sausages, seasoned it and then got it simmering. And then it was ready.

It turned out pretty well - one amendment I'd make would be adding some water to thin out the sauce but all in all it was nice. The wine really added a rich flavour to it, and the sausages were worth the money.
And dessert - cookies and ice cream - went down a treat as well.
I feel that I did myself justice.

After that, I said bye to the family and got on my way to the bus stop - at this stage I was feeling worse than earlier, and definitely not right. It feels like I have bruises all over my body, I am constantly cold and I feel tired and sick - don't fancy being ill for a fourth time but it looks like it will happen.

And on I got to the bus with all my layers, and settled down to hopefuly sleep through the eight hours to Santiago. This is my last bus ride of the trip - goodness knows how many I've done to get all around the countries I've been to, but I will be glad to not have to do another one.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment