Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Thursday, 17 March 2011

#39 - Swept away

13/03/2011 (posted 17/03/2011)

It's our last day here.
Woke up feeling refreshed after a deep sleep - I was simply too tired for any bugs or itchy sunburn to deter me from my sleep.
I rose at 7 with no morning wash - once again, I wasn't particularly bothered at this.

Breakfast was eaten very quickly and we then got straight back to work on the altar. Today was our final chance to get it finished and we didn't want to leave a half-finished job so we went for it.

We put in a punishing four hourse before lunch at 1, by which time we were all thoroughly exhausted and ready never to see a piece of clay or shovel ever again. Luckily we were served soup with a portion of rice about as big as my head.
This is big - when I was born my head was off the scale when it was measured at the hospital.
Unfortunately whilst I was trying to break up a piece of plantane I slipped and spilled loads of it down me - if I wasn't already covered in sweat and dirt I would have cared.

We managed to finish mining the clay quickly after lunch - over three days we moved a hill of clay. We then set about manually mixing cement (no machines here) which was particularly fun in the heat and with the help of semi-professional Panamanian builders. We slogged at mixing and setting it and finally, at 4:30 (Jarett and Jonny were the only two of us still going at this stage), it was completed.
Such a satisfying feeling, and a great legacy for us to leave.

And that feeling was compounded when we took a dunk in the river to wash and cool down and simply relax. It was richly deserved if we do say so ourselves.
My sunburn began peeling yesterday so my naked torso wasn't its usual pretty sight.

We then finished our post here by leading the evening service. Turnout was massive - the usual sixteen swelled to around 40 which was great to see. We had to give up our seats to mothers, who by the way breast feed their children happily and freely anywhere, anytime, any occasion.
We did three dramas, Jess's sermon, Jonny's tesimony and then a cool exercise Christina thought up where each audience member writes either a question or prayer request. We then answered as many questions as we could and committed to praying for the prayer requests for the remainder of our trip here.

After the service, Pastor Envelio and Joel thanked us for giving them the gift of the altar. They said they wished they could get gifts for us which was sweet but their hospitality and friendship has been more of a gift than we could ever ask for.

It aches to leave but I have many happy memories.
The door to door evangelism arount such remote areas which otherwise would never be reached. Though it was tough going, spreading the Gospel in such a raw way was fun and rewarding when we saw results.

Being in such close proximity to the river has also been a real treat. Not onlyn has it been useful for washing ourselves and our clothes and cooling off each day, but in the sunlight it is absolutely stunning. Set against forests and mountains it is truly a sight to behold and I look forward to sharing my photos.

And finally the community itself has been full of surprises. I now no longer look twice at a chicken or pig strolling around me, and am no longer scared of dogs - the one down side to having all these animals is in the night, when the dogs barking and roosters cock-a-doodle-ooing isn't what you want.
But all the kids seem so happy and loved the attention we could give them so it has been a great experience.

Myself and Christina are leading next week which will be fun as now everyone is well drilled at acting all the parts in the dramas, singing the songs, knowing their sermons etc. It shouldn't be as stressful as previous weeks.
Shouldn't be.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment