10/03/2011 (posted 17/03/2011)
Had an interesting night's sleep.
I dreamed about a gorilla going mental and then woke up at 11pm to the noise of dogs loudly and furiously barking at each other. They carried on for around ten minutes non stop.
Mercifully they eventually stopped and I slept through until 6:15 - the burns on my back gave me a bit of grief but I still got to sleep fine.
When I woke up I was going to head to the river for a wash but couldn't be bothered.
I also wore yesterday's boxers without much of a fuss - I must be adapting to the backpacker's lifestyle.
Breakfast was early and consisted of Hojaldra (the delicious fried pastry things) and a banana porridge which I avoided and the rest of the group really didn't take to.
We then went out for the morning with a pastor who lives 3 hours down the river. He's called Danuel and took us in his boat to another local community called 'Tres Piedres' (Three Stones).
We walked around the houses telling them about God, once again using the handy Evange-cubes. People from three of the five houses seemed genuinely interested in our message so Pastor Danuel is going to come back at some point and give them Bibles.
The boat ride there and back was...interesting shall we say. All eight of us just about fitted in but whenever one of us moved slightly it rocked horrendously - the fact that we were motoring against the aforementioned strong current probably didn't help matters. On several occasions I was convinced that we could capsize but in what I can only describe as a miracle, we made it there and back relatively dry.
Jonny and I spent the early afternoon planning the evening's service.
The father-in-law of a senior guy in this church (Joel) died yesterday and we have to organise an hour-long service for his family. This is immensely difficult given that we didn't know the guy, have only been here a couple of days and this guy wasn't a Christian so it's tough to find appropriate Bible verses about death.
But eventually we finished planning and I went for a quick nap.
In the service each of us read a Bible verse we'd chosen and we then sang Amazing Grace in both English and Spanish. It was a dignified service and hopefully we brought some comfort to the family - it was mighty difficult doing it so soon after the event though but we pulled together.
We then stayed for a snack of hot cacao and bread and then returned.
We had our daily Group Devotions when we got back as we hadn't had time earlier and I finally got into bed by 10pm, positively late by recent standards.
I went to brush my teeth and then realised that the only water I had was pineapple flavoured from earlier in the day. Suffice to say that mint and pineapple don't compliment each other very well.
Whilst making myself comfortable in bed I discovered a dead cockroach which was a truly horrific experience. I've thoroughly checked the rest of my bed and sleeping bag and all seems well but it has unsettled me a lot.
Not a fan of cockroaches.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment