03/03/2011 (posted 06/03/2011)
Woke up and just about managed to unstick my sweaty back from my mattress. Walked downstairs for a 'shower' which was refreshing but I'm only removing the surface layer of sweat/dirt each time.
By the way I'm writing these blog entries as notes in Jarett's iPod and at the end of the week will go to a wi-fi hotspot to post them all at once so if there are any spelling errors, it's due to the tiny touch keyboard on here.
Went to the same house for breakfast - they send one of their kids to pick us up and walk with us each day which is nice. It was once again a delicious but small portion with weird tea.
The morning was once again spent working in a school. Upon arrival, we were told we had to give three programmes - we had only prepared for one, so we hastily threw together a shorter programme and did it. However after the first run through it transpired we didn't have time to do it twice more so we just did it one more time.
I was the lead role in a drama in which the first scene is teengers at a party - we usually mimic drinking, smoking and occasionally snorting or injecting but we had to tone it down for 5/6 year olds so I played a rock guitarist instead of a drug abuser. It's more difficult than you might think to leap around playing air guitar for 45 seconds so I jumped on some chairs and headbanged viciously. It was extremely hot doing this indoors on a warm day. But I got through it.
When we left the school there was a guy selling snowcones - he had a massive block of ice which he scraped and put the shavings into a paper cone and then poured a pineapple purée on top. It was lush and only cost $0.30.
Went to the same house as yesterday for lunch. Devan was on fine form once again - I was drifting off for an afternoon nap in their reclining chair when he hit my legs with a plastic sword and suddenly I was roped into playing with him after being mere seconds away from blissful sleep.
I spent about an hour in the afternoon hand-washing some clothes for the first time ever. I don't think I washed them very well but at least they've had a bit of a rinse.
We then went round the local community (thankfully with no hike to get there this time) handing out leaflets and inviting people to the service tonight. It was a good chance to practises my Spanish but I'd rather have not had to traipse around in the blazing heat.
My Spanish is coming along a little and my phrasebook is brilliant - I occasionally hit our various hosts with questions or statements such as 'How much is a kilo of cheese?', 'Shave it all off!' or 'Why is the museum closed?'.
Spending a couple of days here has further shown me how spoiled we are in the West.
For instance running water is scarce here after midday, yet how often do we leave the taps running etc.?
We had a BEAUTIFUL dinner of fried patacones and fried doughy stuff (ombliana perhaps?) - delicious. And there was plenty of it which is a rare experience here.
It was then the evening service - the church we're with is Pentecostal so very lively with lots of shouting out and loud talking and clapping. This, combined with the lack of air-conditioning and whilst wearing trousers, leads to a lot of sweat.
Jonny gave his sermon then our team sang a couple of songs and then it finished.
Me and Andy stayed up for a bit chatting with Baltin (a young guy from the church who is helping our team while we are here) and a guy who is the son of one of our previous hosts.
We taught them many things including that Germany are bitter at the UK because we won the war.
Don't have anything planned until 4 tomorrow as the schools have the day off - this would potentially be a welcome opportunity for more sleep except we have breakfast at 7:30am as ever.
The mosquito net seems to be working but I can feel something on my leg. Maybe it's one of the lads.
Still haven't shaved.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment