Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 6 March 2011

#32 - Up and away again

06/03/2011

Started the day with the usual shower followed by breakfast at 7:30.

We went to a youth service a short drive away at 9- our team had a short 20 minute section so luckily there wasn't time to do the drama in which I was due to play the lead.
It was great to see such young kids singing and playing in the band, and there was so much energy in the room the whole time.
Baltin then came on as a clown and was brilliant.

We went straight to lunch afterwards which was chicken and rice - standard and delicious.

I spent the afternoon washing some clothes - unfortunately I added way too much powder and so even after a manic effort to rinse the suds out of everything I couldn't quite.
Oops.

We then came downstairs for dinner at 5:30 and once again it arrived at 6:45.
At least they're consistent with the timing.

Our section of the service was just a drama and Jarett's testimony - I had a minor role in the drama.
I also played guitar alongside a guy I'd briefly made friends with at one of the services.
The service was the main weekly one and was a lot more accessible than the midweek ones, loud musical accompaniment being one major reason.  

After the service, we were mobbed by people wanting to shake our hands and take pictures with us - I have so many, mostly with people I didn't even meet throughout the week.
But there are some people we have gotten close to so it was a wrench to say goodbye - Baltin, Oriel (who I played guitar with), Felix the pastor and more.

This week has taught me a lot.
More importantly, it started on a low and has ended on a high. 

When I got here and for large portions of the time I have spent here, I complained at the lack of facilities and running water and punctuality etc.
But throughout the days here, things like that had drifted into insignificance.
Because despite not being as pampered as us in the West, these guys are so happy even when sharing a tiny house in a dirty neighbourhood.
It's so humbling to see these people with very little wealth giving generously to collections at the church and worshipping God with such energy and passion.
They don't have much compared to us but what they have they love and cherish - family, community. They are content with what they have - how many of us can say that?

So even though this week's posts may seem largely complaints, that was mainly due to fatigue and being ill.
Because I have come to enjoy my time here and will miss it.
It has been a real eye-opener and a week full of experiences I can take away.

From what Albin has said, the destination we travel to tomorrow is very different.
It's right into the mountains and very very basic apparently, so don't expect any new posts for anything up to two weeks.

But there we are. Sorry for hitting you with a week's posts at once but you're now up to date.

I am largely enioying myself and learning lots and with a new positive and motivated outlook, this week should be both interesting and enjoyable.
I just need to shake off this illness.

By the way I'm posting this at 1am the morning we leave - I hope you appreciate my commitment A guy I've never met called Luiz just came
and asked if I was ok as he saw my by the roadside accessing the free wi-fi - shows what nice guys these people are.

Until who knows when, goodbye.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment