Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 6 March 2011

#30 - All too much

04/03/2011 (posted 06/06/2011)

Free morning but still had breakfast at 7:30 which was tough.

Used shampoo and soap for the first time in a few days which felt good - I've learned how to wash effectively with the bucket system.
Breakfast was patacones and some eggy stuff - can't get enough of these fried plantanes, they are like little potato wedges. 
Delicious.

We had another free morning which was welcome and went to the girls house for group devotions to save them the walk - the other guys weren't feeling as chivalrous as me but I insisted. Not too much of an inconvenience for us and it saved them some hassle so what's the problem?

The pastor of this church is such a cool guy. He has a quasi-Jamaican accent and walks round saying 'What's's up man' to people all the time. He also took a motorbike for a spin earlier just for the craic (one of Jonny's Irish expressions). 

Lunch featured a banana for dessert. I have no intention of unnecessarily breaking my 15 year sabbatical so managed to pretend I was full and 'take it to eat later' - I gave it to Jonny when we got home.

Beverley (the host of the girls) offered to take us into town if we needed to get anything - I was short on cash so took up the offer. She said she'd get here at 2 but the the girls arrived at quarter past saying she'd jumped in the shower at 2! Typical Panamanian timing once again.
We eventually went and trudged round for an hour and half looking for stuff for the girls mainly - all I needed was some cash!
 
Speaking of which, the lack of queue system here is infuriating. I can be about to buy something and people walk all around me putting stuff on the counter holding their money ready.
How rude! It just confuses matters and is very inefficient as well as letting certain crafty individuals jump far ahead of their place.

We got a taxi home. The taxis are interesting here - they pick you up but then cruise round beeping their horn trying to find more clients which I thought was pretty rude, especially as we were in a rush. 

After the shopping, I felt absolutely dead.
My legs ached, I felt lothargic and sicky.
In my notebook I wrote the following:
"I miss home, don't enjoy a lot of the work we do, find it mentally and physically stressful" as well as more emotional stuff.

But it was time to head out again - we went to a deprived area called Finca 11 which was a punishing 30 minute walk away which wasn't what I needed, especially while wearing trousers.

When we arrived, the family were sat in a circle listening to a car CD player. One of them was shaking a baby in a hammock but so violently that it can't have been healthy.    

I MC'd the evening service - it was at this house and I delivered a steady and efficient yet unspectacular performance.
The atmosphere was very lively as it's a Pentecostal Church so there's lots of freedom of expression. I threw in a few 'The Holy Spirit is in this room' and loud 'Amen!'s to please them.
There was a big block of music at the start and then we came on and did our bit.

When we finished, I was on a high and stayed playing with the kids. I did some of the funny faces that my little cousins James and Robert like.
But when we left, I was parched so bought some Guava and Pineapple juice which absolutely hit the spot.

However when I got back to the church, the tiredness really hit me and I was on a massive downer.
I had to finish planning tomorrow's 2 hour service with Andy which was an absolute mission and also plan devotions for tomorrow morning.
I felt dehydrated, tired, achey and ill - without going into details my stomach has been very upset on many occasions throughout the day.
I had a bit of a cry about missing my family and friends. 
But I prayed with Andy and I realized that I need a completely new attitude to this trip.

Even if I don't enjoy the activities or feel tired or whatever, I'm here as a Christian and doing work for God should be my first priority.

I need a long sleep - I have 7 hours.
Somehow I need to find some strength. 

JG 

No comments:

Post a Comment