05/03/2011 (posted 06/03/2011)
Woke up feeling slightly rested but still with a throbbing headache.
Shower was refreshing and breakfast was nice but more sleep would have been appreciated - I was up at 6:30 for a shower as per usual.
I'm thinking that it must be drinking the local water that's making me ill - we've been served juice at some houses which must be mixed with tap water.
Because my stomach really isn't happy.
Andy led devotions and we were in an area that is fully exposed to the sun for an hour and a quarter which didn't help matters.
When we came back we went through stuff for tonight - I just wanted to rest by this point so I didn't particularly love the practise.
Except for one bit - we undertook the challenge of learning a new drama in half a day and the practise went really well.
The music we're using is Everything by Lifehouse - there's a different drama done to the same music on YouTube, look it up if you haven't seen it already, it's powerful stuff.
Our drama shows a Jailkeeper who tempts people to sin and locks them in jail one by one - then Jesus comes along and opens the jail and some come running towards Him but others reject Him and stay in the dark.
Lunch wasn't a great experience for many reasons.
Firstly, I was nodding off the whole time and just wanted to sleep.
Secondly, it was uncomfortably hot both inside and outside.
Thirdly, it was soup which is nice in of itself but is one of the worst things to have on a hot day - I was sweating profusely afterwards.
Fourthly, it contained beef still on the bone. I don't really care for meat off the bone anyway - why bother when you can get it in fillets - and it was very fatty and gristly also.
But we came back to the church and I had a two hour nap and was LOADS better.
I still had bouts of feeling sick but the two hours seemed like ten. When I woke up we all finished preparing for tonight and it seemed to be going well.
Baltin shaved me and cut my hair - it looks so bad.
I asked him for quite short but a little longer on top, and he delivered a pudding bowl with rough edges.
It looks like I've done it myself. In the dark. Upside down. With my right hand.
But the service went well anyway - Jarett and I did a skit called 'Cool and creamy' where we came on dressed ridiulously and singing 'Cool and creamy, I like the cool and creamy'.
The idea is to then spray shaving foam in each other in random places, but the closest to shaving foam we could get hold of was mayonnaise.
It stank awfully but it went down a treat with the audience.
The other highlight was the eating competition - us lads rigged it so that Jess had to partake in the Spam round, and her face was an absolute picture when she realised.
However it was less funny when Andy, the MC, decided she'd had enough and called me up to replace her.
I had a couple of mouthfuls but it was vile uncooked - fried and maybe I'd have gone for it.
Fair play to the guy who finished the whole tin.
Finished the day feeling equally sick but less tired and with a weight off my shoulders now that the evening service had been delivered as I was in charge of organising it.
Think I need to drink more water (bottled) and maybe I'll get over this sickness.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
No comments:
Post a Comment