08/02/11
So here I am in Panama City.
Firstly a few random and pointless observations and things I experienced on the way here:
- I was referred to as 'bruv' for the first time ever whilst checking in at Heathrow
- listened to a couple arguing for about 5 minutes straight in the departure lounge
- witnessed an incredible safety video from American Airlines, production as slick as one of their awfully cliched political adverts
- saw The Social Network on the flight over, brilliant film
- had 2 cans of Diet Coke on the flight, didn't used to be allowed to do that when I travelled with my parents
- had a very strange dream, can't remember it all but it involved the Statue of Liberty and cohabiting with talking animals in a jungle
- was well fed on the flight over - pizza, pasta, salad, bread, cheese, grapes, biscuits, nachos
- saw a fat security guard cruising round on a segway which was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen
and then I finally arrived in Panama City Tocumen International Airport.
the first sign I was greeted by read "Panama relentless fight against sinister trilogy: drugs, crime and terrorism" which was strangely poetic.
A guy at the airport tried to charge me $2 to use a luggage trolley, which I politely declined. Not sure if that's standard or he was trying to rip me off but I'll be wary right from the get-go.
The Panamanians seem very laid back and chilled out which is lucky as it's absolutely boiling hot out here. there's no law to say you have to wear a seatbelt in the back seats of a car and the taxi driver filled up with petrol whilst taking me and Albin (from OM, he greeted me at the airport), they're just two examples of the style over here.
On the way from the airport to the city, it was dark and I could see what looked like a row of buildings extending out from the main streets. However Albin informed me that it's a line of ships waiting to cross the Panama Canal, and they could easily be waiting for 2-3 days. Gutted.
We then went to our hotel which we're staying in for these first two nights, then we're moving to a more upmarket one with a swimming pool apparently. Went for a bit of a stroll, bought some nachos and cheese and now we're chilling in the hotel room.
So yeah, all is well.
JG
Introduction
My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.
I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.
This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.
Good to know you've arrived safely.
ReplyDeleteAll thinking of you here.
Much love and fondest wishes,
Joan, Andrew, Jonny and Matthew xxxxx