Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Tuesday, 22 February 2011

#20 - Take my hand

22/02/2011

Today marks the second full week I´ve been here in Panama.
It´s amazing to think what has changed in my life in that short space of time - all the friends I´ve made, people I´ve met, things I´ve learned etc.
Just 97 days until I fly back.

Although most of our training is finished, one part which we haven´t done is Spiritual Growth.
This is because the guy who lectures it, Don Hammon, only got to Volcan on Saturday night.
He´s an absolutely inspirational guy - we think he is 76 and he was describing his travels for the year which I believe includes every continent.
He lives in California but seems to spend next to no time there whatsoever.
He´s also very very wise and after one morning´s teaching, I left with so many things to mull over and consider. He was talking about developing a close relationship with God, which I found really useful and appropriate as I have a tendency to defiantly attempt things under my own steam which has little potential for long-term success.
But yeah, for the rest of this week, he´ll teach us in the morning and we´ll do outreach in the afternoon.

This afternoon was our first proper outreach, and went quite well.
We went to a really poor, deprived area of Volcan where the houses are improvised shacks with tin roofs.
We got loads of the kids, about 15, together and played games and sang songs and did drama for the whole afternoon.
It was great to see them having a good time yet heartbreaking knowing that as soon as we leave them, their underprivileged lives would continue and we´d move on and eventually back into Western, capitalist, wasteful culture.
But if we touched their hearts and made even a small difference, it was well worth it.

So that was our first day of work over, and it seemed to go ok.
The dramas could have gone slightly better perhaps but all in all, we gave the kids a good time and some attention and love which must be scarce for them.
It´s just so difficult to make friends and see them so happy and yet leave a few hours later - one of them wouldn´t let go of Bonnie´s hand which upset me, as it just spelled out so clearly that these are people in need.

After that, we got home and had chicken paninis for dinner.
We then made pancakes with chocolate chips later on, and played Phase 10 (a card game) which I won for the second time in a row.
I´ve developed a reputation for being proficient at card games - I have always been fortunate at card games, but I put it down to a positive outlook and vibe which I always have when I play games or sport.

On a slightly different tack, Andy posed the question earlier that if I was shrunk to molecular level, which of his orifices would I prefer to enter his body by to take a look around?
We´ve also had the question ´´What is your dream mode of transport?´´ bounded around at various times, and my instinctive answer was in my view the best: Jetpack.
It would combine both a close simulation of flying with lightning speed and usefulness for shopping and stuff.

Albin just posted on my wall on Facebook that it´s past curfew (11pm) which is true, so I must sign off.
However I´d just like to say a massive thank you for all prayers and messages/emails of support that I´ve received while I´m over here.
Each one gives me a boost to know that I am so fortunate to have amazing family and friends and church congregation supporting me and thinking of me, and such support will be vitally important when we are massively tested in the jungles.
So thank you one and all.
Until tomorrow, buenos noches.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment