Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Sunday, 27 February 2011

#25 - The Holy Grail

27/02/2011

Would usually have had a slight lie in as church starts at 10:30, but I had to get there at 8:30 along with Christina and Liset to practise with the band.
So we got there - I was absolutely knackered, yawning constantly and the steel strings were really punishing my fingers so it wasn´t the best start to the morning.

The service itself went fairly well - I didn´t make any major mistakes with the guitar, and luckily the keyboard was turned up so loud that it drowned out the horrible scratchy noise that was a result of the horrible strings I had to work with.
Jarett and Andy did a really neat skit during the service called ´God´s Chisel´- look it up on YouTube, it´s really funny and thought-provoking at the same time.

Went to the Panaderia on the way back for a post-lunch ice cream that cost only $0.30 - I was tempted to go for two but resisted.
Talked to Amy on Skype for just over an hour which was really nice - we finally had a time when we were both free, and it will probably be the last time for a fair few weeks as internet will be extremely limited/non-existant while we´re doing the outreach with the indigenous peoples.

Spent the rest of the afternoon playing card games and just relaxing which was a welcome relief after a busy, nonstop few days. Made a second trip to the Panaderia with Jarett which was completely unncecessary but very delicious.
Unfortunately each room and its adjoining bathroom has to be cleaned by its residents so we quickly knocked both of those off before dinner, which was a baguette and Pringles.
As a pudding, I had the cookies I bought from my first visit to the Panaderia.

After dinner, us guys plus Jess watched The Holy Grail - she only lasted about ten minutes before leaving due to boredom. We found it hilarious so it doesn´t matter anyway.

After that, we had a group meeting to assign roles for next week as well as for the entire time - for instance, certain people are in charge of First Aid, Equipment, Finance etc.
I was rooting for Finance as I like sorting that sort of stuff out (hence Maths A-Level, even though that was a horrific and pointless two years) - however I ended up being the only person not assigned a specific role for the entire duration, which I interpreted as being assigned the role of ´Minister without brief´
Not sure whether that was deliberate or not, but it suits me - I´ll just about be able to sort myself out let alone be in charge of anything else.

Tomorrow is a day off with which a few of us plan to go to Bouquete (about an hour away) to visit a coffee plantation and do some tasting - this is going to be right up my street as my time as an employee of Starbucks has instilled in me a passion for good coffee, a passion which has been frequently satisfied during this holiday.

Once again, Albin is threatening anger against me if I don´t finish writing soon so I had better do just that.
All that remains for me to say is goodnight, and tomorrow´s post will probably be my last for a while as we go out to the tribes the day after.
I realise you´ll be upset, but don´t cry - you´ll just savour the moment even more when I finally do get the chance to write. Or something along those lines - perhaps I´m being presumptuous.

Anyhow, goodnight/good morning.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment