Introduction

My name is Jonathan Guy, I'm 19, and I have always lived in England.
Between February 8th and May 31st 2011, I'm going abroad.

I'm spending two months in Panama on mission with a Christian organisation called Operation Mobilisation.
The work is partly Evangelism (spreading the word of God) with indigenous tribes in the jungle, and partly work in local communities. I'm then spending 5o days travelling in South America.

This blog will house my thoughts, my emotions, my revelations and everything I experience during my 16 weeks away. If such a premise is of any interest to you, I hope you will follow this blog and enjoy reading about my exploits.


Monday, 17 January 2011

#1 - 3 weeks to go

17/01/11

As the title may suggest, just 3 weeks until I leave for Panama.
can't believe it's actually a reality and not just something in the future, as it has been for ages.

I've done most of the preparation:

had so many jabs I'm essentially invincible, apart from rabies.
bought loads of quick-drying breathable clothes - apparently sometimes the atmosphere over there is sometimes so humid that clothes simply can't dry. and it's extremely hot.
earned and paid the money for the trip and flights - partly with compensation from when my nose got broken 3 years ago, partly from money I've earned working at Starbucks and I also received a more than generous donation of £750 from my church, which I can't thank them enough for.

but the biggest obstacle in my way is the mental challenge I'm going to face.
the longest I've been away from home before is 3 weeks (holiday to USA in 2001) and that was with my family.
this time, I'm away for 16 weeks with literally no-one who I know.
in a continent I've never visited.
where they speak a language I don't.

As I say, going to be tough.
but I didn't want a little holiday when I applied for it, I wanted a challenge and to be out of my comfort zone and in at the deep end and any other appropriate cliche. It's difficult enough not to get robbed in Central/South America let alone trying to help their communities out and talk to them about God.
but that's my challenge.

Just 3 weeks away.

It's my birthday on Friday btw. 19 years young. probably about a quarter of the way through my life already.

JG

1 comment: